Evaluating Hydroquinone and Hydroquinone-Free
Posted in Mind and Body Health
Hydroquinone has been one of the top ingredients physicians use to treat hyperpigmentation. There is a lot of controversy on whether to use hydroquinone or go hydroquinone-free. With ¼ of all skin care product sales being for hyperpigmentation, this is the time to discuss this controversy.
How you use hydroquinone will depend on how safe it is. For over fifty years, hydroquinone has been used in teeth whitening. It has even been exposed to humans through industrial and photography development. Reportedly, there have been no known reports of anyone developing cancer because of hydroquinone.
Arbutin, which converts to hydroquinone in our stomachs, is stated to even be in the foods we eat. The body quickly eliminates the exposure through urination. The legally prescribed amount of hydroquinone cream is 2%.
If you are hesitant to use hydroquinone, that is your choice in Pennsylvania at the moment. If you are looking for alternative lighteners, we will discuss them below.
- Vitamin C: A natural antioxidant which works to brighten the skin. The tyrosinase inhibitors are what help with the hyperpigmentation. An excessive amount of melanin production is prevented by the tyrosinase inhibitors.
- Retinol-based products: Exfoliation process is expedited, which will eliminate pigment already lying in the epidermis.
- Kojic acid: Tyrosinase inhibitor that decreases the amount of melanin produced by the skin.
- Licorice extract: Glabridin is the main ingredient found in licorice extract for lightening skin. Licorice extract also has anti-inflammatory properties.
The Spa at Spring Ridge top hydroquinone-free lighteners carries…
- ZO Skin Health- C-Bright Vitamin C Serum
- ZO Skin Health- BrightAlive Non-Retinol Skin Brightener
- ZO Skin Health- Brightenex Containing 1% Retinol
- Revision- Vitamin C
At the Spa at Spring Ridge, we are highly trained in treating all of your skin ailments. We offer facials, peels, and laser treatments to combine with our great products to treat hyperpigmentation, as well as all other skin conditions. We also have a Visia Skin Analysis, which we use to provide multispectral imaging of your skin. The Visia will reveal any damage beneath the surface that isn’t detectable by visual examination. Through the Visia, your skin will be evaluated based on six categories that affect your skin complexion. Once your skin is evaluated, we will come up with the perfect treatment plan for you!
If you would like more information about skin care, contact the experts at the Spa at Spring Ridge. Call [phone] to schedule your appointment today!